Friday, January 7, 2011

Thrift Store Super Finds~Don't ya just Love um???

A Wee hour in the morning Good Morning..thought I would share my adventures to the thrift store today...
When ever I go North to see the Doctor~Dentist or check on my house up here I always stop at all the thrift stores on the way up or way back. today was no diferent other then I found a super deal..I wanted to share it with you for a couple of reason.
As many of you know Fabric isn't cheap by any means and to a crafter the cost of fabric can make or break making money on something you are creating..
So with that said here is something for all you who make Quilts, Pillow ornies, Rag Balls, Garland or whatever else you might need Fabric for.
Men's large and X-large long sleeve shirts are at least a yard of fabric or more.
Where can we find them at a bargin price... the Thrift Stores and especially when they run a special like two of the Good Will Stores were running today.

The special sale today was any 5 clothing items for $10.00. You do the math I got 5 plus yards of fabric for $10 plus I got buttons as a little bonus..
this is the second time in the last two months they have had this sale so I've got two totes full of great colors to use as hand towels, pillow ornies and of course my Rag Balls..

What makes this a great deal is Used mens shirts are already worn and faded which is perfect for my primitive creations. If I'm really lucky they don't need tea stained to make the fabric look old.....
I found all kinds of checked and plaids in every color you can imagine.

I bought 10 shirts..and tonight I actually sat down in front of the TV for the first time in god knows how long and cut them up.

I cut as many large pieces I can from the Backs and sleeves and ripped the rest into stripes for making rag balls and Rag Garland.

I don't make Quilts but I used to dabble in it and I know for sure that buying used mens shirts would have given me such a wonderful bigger selection of fabric to make my squares from..something for you quilters to really check into...

If I would have gone to the Fabric store and bought this much fabric I would have spent like $50-$60 dollars maybe more.

So all of you rwho use Fabric in your creations you may want to start chckeing out your Good Will Stores, Salvation Army thrift stores and any other thrift stores around for good deals on mens old shirts ... 
Oh yea I also found a gallon sized bag full of orl wood Spools for $1.99 it had like 50 old wood spools. I pay $1.00 for four large spools so that was my best deal of the day..

That was my first great bargin for the day... Second I went to my favorite craft store for supplies and they were having a huge 75% off Christmas items sale and I got two trash bags full of goodies for $5.00 a bag.. many things I can use in my creations.
Like rusty Bells, Cookie cutters, rusty stars, All kinds of goodies..

It was a good Shopping day ..but now I'm broke...gona have to create somemore when I get home tomorrow...its back to the shop... :>)

Until next we meet...Many Blessings...Tonya

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tonya,
    I'd say you got some great deals! I LOVE thrifting! Never know what you'll find, I think that's the main fun of going!
    I am glad you got some good stuff!
    Have a good weekend.
    Blessings,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tonya, I never would have thought of using mens shirts for fabric. You are one smart cookie! Thanks for sharing this. Now I will be on the look out for mens shirts. And way to go on finding all those great deals! So jealous!

    ~*Hugs*~

    Gen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Tonya
    Wonderful deals!
    Your really got some goodies for cheap prices!
    Have a great day
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Tonya,
    Thanks for the great tips. I too have cut up men's shirts, used the fabric for Annie dresses and aprons. Like you said, they are already worn thin. I needed a fine stripe fabric, my husband had an old shirt from the 70's, he kindly let me have since it didn't fit anymore, Ha..Ha..
    Prim Blessings, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tonya,
    That is such a great idea using mens shirts for fabric. I love it!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good shopping day. Don't you just love a good bargain?

    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I'm so Blessed that you stopped by & shared your thoughts with me today! Reading your comments always makes me Smile!